Students will prepare to enter the job market as a skilled welder. Proficient students are able to obtain welder certifications for Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW), Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW), Flux Cored Arc Welding (FCAW), and Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) to AWS code requirements.
Welding is only offered on the Price Campus.
General Education Requirements
Written Communications (choose one 3 cr.)
Math (choose one 3 or 4 cr.)
Human Relations (choose one 3 cr.)
Core Courses (choose 46 cr.)
WELD 1100 - Shielded Metal Arc Welding 7 cr.
WELD 1110 - Advanced Shielded Metal Arc Welding 3 cr.
WELD 1120 - Beginning Gas Metal Arc Welding and Flux Cored Arch Welding 7 cr.
WELD 1130 - Advanced Gas Metal Arc Welding and Flux Cored Arc Welding 3 cr.
WELD 1140 - Related Welding Processes 7 cr.
WELD 1150 - Beginning Gas Tungsten Arc Welding 7 cr.
WELD 1160 - Advanced Gas Tungsten Arc Welding 3 cr.
WELD 2400 - Print Reading for Welders 3 cr.
WELD 2500 - Weld Inspection 3 cr.
WELD 2600 - Metallurgy 3 cr.
Electives (choose one)
CHEM 1010 - Introduction to Chemistry 3 cr.
EDDT 2650 - Mechanical Blueprint Reading 3 cr.
ENGR 1000 - Introduction to Engineering Design 2 cr.
PHYS 1010 - Elementary Physics 3 cr.
PHYS 1040 - Introduction to Astronomy 3 cr.
PHYS 1050 - Technical Physics 3 cr.
Printable Degree Plan: Welding - AAS, Degree Sheet
Apply to Utah State University
- New freshman admitted to USU Eastern in good standing qualify for admission to this program.
- Transfer students from other institutions need a 2.5 GPA for admission to this major.
- Students transferring from other USU Eastern majors need a total GPA of 2.5 for admission to this major.
- No welding courses below a C may be applied toward meeting graduation requirements.
- Visual acuity requirements: 20/40 vision and Jaeger J-2 at 12 inches, with or without corrective lenses. If corrective lenses are required to attain this level of visual acuity, the corrective lenses must be worn during class periods.
Meet placement requirements for Math and English.
For more tips and information about college preparation see College Prep.
Students who complete the Welding program are prepared to work as a Welder in the following:
- Welding Inspection
The following degrees are available on the USU Eastern Campuses:
Use the USU Degree Finder to search all degrees available throughout the Utah State University system.