Management Information Systems: BS/BA
The Department of Management Information Systems combines business and electronics. The Department of MIS has created a hands-on learning environment to allow students access to the latest hardware and software tools. The program is designed to prepare individuals for positions as managers in business information systems, including database administrators, web designers, electronic commerce developers, systems analysts, applications programmers, IT security managers, and systems trainers. Courses enable students to solve business problems using a variety of computer programs.
The management information systems program gives students well-developed skills in information processing, business writing, and microcomputers. Because of the variety of business courses required to obtain a degree in management information systems, graduates might find opportunities beyond the traditional MIS sphere, including sales, advertising, retailing, finance, personnel, traffic, and transportation.
The MIS program is housed in the Jon M. Huntsman School of Business, the oldest business school west of the Mississippi. USU has offered business degrees since 1894 and has long held prestigious accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International and continues to be on the forefront of advanced business education.
Apply to Utah State University
In addition to Utah State University’s admissions requirements, the Department of Management has additional requirements:
- Freshmen: Incoming freshman may be admitted directly if they have an ACT composite score of 24 or higher and a high school GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Transfer Students: Transfer students from other institutions or students transferring from other USU majors may be admitted after they have earned 24 or more post-high school credits with a 3.5 GPA or higher.
- Students not meeting the above conditions can still to apply. Admission is competitive based on available space. Students must fill out an application (available online), have earned a minimum GPA of 2.67, and must have completed certain prerequisite courses.
International students have additional admissions requirements.
This degree is offered through Utah State University Regional Campuses and follows the USU Regional Campus tuition schedule. See Tuition & Payment for more information.
With a degree in management information systems, you will be qualified for the following careers:
- Information manager
- Systems analyst
- Network and Internet manager
- Electronic commerce worker
- Data network security administrator
- Project manager
- Network administrator
- Web developer
- Software engineer
- Technical consultant
- Assistant analyst
- Business systems analyst
- Business systems project manager
- Communications network designer
- Database analyst
The following degrees are available on the USU Eastern Price and Blanding Campuses:
Use the USU Degree finder to search all degrees available throughout the Utah State University system.